PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSE FOR VISUAL ARTISTS
This course will address various issues artists are confronted with when seeking development of portfolios and greater exposure for their artwork. This course will cover
topics that will encourage developing portfolios through effective writing, professional documentation and marketing artwork. This course can be designed to fit within 3 – 5 days, dependant upon how in‐depth participants would like to go.
- Reading materials that include advice for
starting your art career, etc.
- Glossaries for Art Terminologies
- Inventory, taxes, invoice basics
- Organization: Electronic documents and
- How to get started articles
- Templates for inventory, invoices, taxes
- Presentation: “How to get organized!”
- CV/resume, artist statement, proposal statement & press release
- How To Apply for grants, residencies, public art & galleries/stores
- Budget, timeline basics
- Photographing artwork, labeling images
- Basic outlines/examples for CV/etc
- Contact lists for funding agencies, programs, galleries
- Application forms for 1 grant and 1 gallery
- Presentation: “Public art, grants and galleries!”
- Marketing: contact lists, newsletters, social media, websites, logos, packaging, etc.
- Review of student draft proposals for grants/gallery applications.
- Basic how to examples
- Presentation: “Newsletters, websites,social media & packaging!”